In this program, you will learn the skills required to be successful in many different security and law enforcement careers. You will undergo on the job training at a law enforcement facility in Atlantic Canada. You will also practice on a driving course and gun range, learn use of force and control skills, and receive communications and mental health training.
As part of the Sheriff and Public Safety Officer program, all cadets undergo on the job training at various security facilities throughout Atlantic Canada. This real-life experience provides students the opportunity to use their skills and knowledge, and offers them the fundamental skills needed to further pursue careers in policing or corrections.
Sheriff and Public Saftety Officer cadets are required to live in residence for the duration of their training, except when they are in on the job training.
Living in residence provides cadets with experiential learning, such as cooperation, problem solving and time management. Through this interaction with fellow students outside the classroom setting, cadets develop a professional appreciation for teamwork and diversity.
Each single-occupancy room includes a bathroom, fridge, television, air conditioning and heat. Common areas include a sitting room, television, laundry (Coin operated) and kitchen (non-cooking) facilities.
Cadets are provided with 14 meals a week: breakfast, lunch and dinner Monday through Thursday, breakfast and lunch on Friday.
James Barrieau, Graduate 2016
“Here at the Academy, they teach you the basics of security enforcement. We learned the foundation and we learned how to practice it in the workplace. It prepared us for what we have to do on the job. And it can open a lot of doors to other careers. It’s not just about being a sheriff.”
Greg Delano, Graduate 2016
“The instructors here at the Academy really care about us. You’re always learning from them. And you can take what you learn and use it to show inmates that you care about them, too. I find it easier to communicate with people now. It’s made me stronger and a lot more confident. You come here to be a sheriff, but you learn so much about yourself. I was interested in being a police officer and in law enforcement. Sheriff is a hybrid of both policing and corrections.”
Natasha Phillips, Graduate 2016
“I like knowing that I can protect the public. I pick up on little things I never would have noticed before. I’ve gained self-confidence. I can walk into any workplace and be sure that I know what to do. You know you’ve chosen the right school when other law enforcement agencies have received their training here, too.”
|Location:||Atlantic Police Academy, Slemon Park, Summerside|
|Credential:||Certificate, Sheriff and Public Safety Officer|
|Minimum passing grade per course:
- Grade 12 or equivalent with credits at or above the general level
- Must be 19 years of age by program start date
- A valid driver’s license (students holding restricted or graduated licenses must abide by the conditions of this license, regardless of Holland College training)
- Criminal Record Check (Vulnerable Sector) with no findings of guilt
- Completion of an APA Medical Form
- Successful completion of the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI-2). The applicant is responsible for this cost. Testing for applicants from the Maritimes is held in PEI. This test will be arranged by Holland College Admissions.
- Three letters of reference, not from family members
- Certification in Standard First Aid, CPR Level C and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) (must be valid for the duration of the program)
- Successful completion of Physical Ability Requirement Evaluation Test (PARE)
- Completion of Immunization Verification Form (download in PDF or MS Word (required after acceptance)
- Proof of Canadian citizenship or Canadian permanent resident status
- Résumé including work and volunteer experience with applicable dates, membership in groups, associations or athletics, awards and distinctions, and any other information about yourself relevant to the program
Graduates of this program may find employment with:
- Public Safety Officer
- Municipal Peace Officer
- Highway Safety
- University Policing
- Bylaw Enforcement
- Armored Car
- Cell Block Security
Tuition & Fees
If you have any questions concerning this program, contact: