Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8 Holland College | Adult Education and GED

Adult Education

Home > Programs > Adult Education and GED

Adult Education and GED

Our Adult Education classrooms are supportive and friendly places where you can complete or upgrade high school credits or prepare to write your GED exam. We have classes during the day or evening in centres across the province, and we provide textbooks at no cost.

If you are 18 or older, or if you are younger than 18 and have graduated from high school, we can help you get closer to your goal.

Apply for Adult Education courses by completing our online application form.

Find the nearest Adult Education Centre

Transitioning to Holland College

Once you have completed your upgrading or earned the academic credits you need to apply for a Holland College program, we can help guide you through the admissions process. Holland College reserves program seats for qualified Adult Education students.

If you are accepted into a program at Holland College, and you have been in the labour market for one year, you may be eligible for SkillsPEI Funding, which means you could receive up to 70% of your program tuition and receive employment insurance while you are in the program.

If you need high school credits or need to upgrade your marks in academic English, math, biology, chemistry or physics to meet the admission requirements of a post-secondary program, we can help you.  All credits are recognized by the PEI Department of Education and are accepted at all universities and colleges across Canada.

We offer some credits online and by video conferencing, an excellent way to upgrade if you have a busy schedule.

For more information about Adult Education programs and courses, post-secondary programs, and admission requirements, email or call 902-566-9362.

You may write the GED (General Education Development) tests to receive your high school equivalency if you did not finish high school. Many community colleges and universities will accept you as a mature student if you have a satisfactory GED score. In order to write the GED tests you must be:

  • A Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • At least 18 years of age
  • Out of school for at least one full year, and
  • Without a Grade 12 certificate from another school

First you must complete a practice test. We use the test to find out if you are ready for the GED exam and to help us create an educational plan that suits you.

The practice test covers five subject areas: math, reading, writing, science and social studies, and takes about four hours to complete; but we can break it into smaller sections to fit your schedule. If you score 500 or above in any of the subjects, you are qualified to take the official GED test for that subject, bypassing classes!

If you have any questions about the GED program or would like to schedule a practice test, please email or call 902-566-9362

If you would like to speak with our Academic Advisor about Adult Education programs and courses, please email Karen Ford-Doyle at, or call her at 902-566-9362. If you are looking for general information, email

Other Contacts