Find out more about the Holland College/UPEI Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology joint degree here!
This program is the only one of its kind in the region. As a student, you will develop and hone your laboratory and scientific research skills. Throughout the program, you will learn skills and techniques in natural product extraction, fermentation, bacterial and animal cell culture. You will take part in a six-week on the job training experience where you will apply your skills in a real work environment. You’ll also focus on project-based learning and will complete an independent research project on a topic of your choice.
The program content is regularly updated to reflect industry needs. The list below is only a sample of the skills our students acquire during the two-year program:
OJT opportunities here.
- Natural-product extraction, fractionation and purification
- Chromatography (thin-layer, low-pressure, UPLC, HPLC)
- Gel electrophoresis (2D, SDS-PAGE and agarose gels)
- Media preparation
- Bacterial and animal cell culture techniques
- Protein assays
- Immunological techniques (Western blots, ELISAs)
- PCR (standard and real-time)
- Tangential flow filtration
- siRNA techniques
- Plasmid preparations
- Aseptic techniques
- GLP and GMP
- Lab maintenance and use of equipment (e.g. centrifuges, pH meters, analytical balances)
The Bioscience Technology program is accredited by the Canadian Technology Accreditation Board (CTAB) of the Canadian Council of Technicians and Technologists (Technologist level). CTAB accredited programs provide International Mobility rights under the International Engineering Alliance (IEA) through the Sydney and Dublin Accords.
Put our future bioscience technicians to work on your project. We are available for short-term research collaborations and specialize in isolation and purification of compounds from natural products, and compound testing (e.g. toxicity and migration assays) in bacterial and animal cell cultures. Work on these projects is led by program staff (instructors and laboratory technicians) with assistance from our students as appropriate. If you have a short-term project that you would like to discuss with us, please contact us.
If you are interested in participating in more extensive applied research projects, please visit the Applied Research section of this website for more information.
|Location:||Prince of Wales Campus|
|Credential:||Diploma, Bioscience Technologist|
|Minimum passing grade per course:
- Grade 12 or equivalent with credits at or above the general level
- Grade 12 academic English, minimum of 70%
- Grade 12 academic biology, minimum of 70%
- Grade 12 academic chemistry, minimum of 70%
- Grade 11 or 12 academic math, minimum of 70%
- Current Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems (WHMIS) certificate
- Résumé including work and volunteer experience with applicable dates, membership in groups, associations or athletics, awards and distinctions, and any other information about yourself relevant to the program.
Graduates from this program may find employment as:
- Biological laboratory technologist
- Microbiology quality control technologist
- Microbiology technologist
- Food bacteriological technician
- Plant breeding technician
- Agricultural technologist
- Aquaculture technician
Tuition & Fees
If you have any questions concerning the Bioscience Technology program, contact: