Find out more about the Holland College/UPEI Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology joint degree here!
This program is the only one of its kind in the region. As a
student, you will develop and hone your laboratory and
scientific research skills. Throughout the program, you will
learn natural product extraction, fermentation, bacterial and
animal cell culture skills and techniques. You will take part
in six weeks of on the job training so that you can apply
your skills in a real work environment. You’ll also focus on
project-based learning and will complete an independent
research project on a topic of your choice.
Students participate in events and seminars sponsored
by the PEI BioAlliance and make site visits to local
Our program is very closely associated with the biotechnology and bioscience industries on P.E.I., and is expanding its involvement to the other Maritime provinces. This gives our students access to amazing on the job training opportunities.
OJTs are developed in consultation with our industry partners. Mentoring partners from both academic and industry sources prepare and submit a brief job description to the Bioscience Technology instructors. The students then review these descriptions and submit resumés for consideration by the mentoring partners of the projects in which they are interested. We then host a day of interviews at Holland College, where students and potential mentors are allotted 20 minutes to meet and discuss the projects. Each student must interview for at least three positions. At the end of the day, both the students and the mentoring partners rank their choices in order of preference.
Interviews for placements off-island can be conducted via Skype or FaceTime, or, if a student finds their own mentoring partner (potentially in his or her home province), the formal interviewing process is amended.
The list below is just a sample of the skills our students acquire during the two-year program:
- Natural-product extraction, fractionation and purification
- Chromatography (thin-layer, low-pressure, UPLC, HPLC)
- Gel electrophoresis (2D, SDS-PAGE and agarose gels)
- Media preparation
- Bacterial and animal cell culture techniques
- Protein assays
- Immunological techniques (Western blots, ELISAs)
- PCR (standard and real-time)
- Tangential flow filtration
- siRNA techniques
- Plasmid preparations
- Aseptic techniques
- GLP and GMP
- Lab maintenance and use of equipment (e.g. centrifuges, pH meters, analytical balances)
The Bioscience Technology program is accredited by the Canadian Technology Accreditation Board (CTAB) of the Canadian Council of Technicians and Technologists (Technologist level). CTAB accredited programs provide International Mobility rights under the International Engineering Alliance (IEA) through the Sydney and Dublin Accords.
Put our future bioscience technicians to work on your project. We are available for short-term research collaborations and specialize in isolation and purification of compounds from natural products, and compound testing (e.g. toxicity and migration assays) in bacterial and animal cell cultures. Work on these projects is led by program staff (instructors and laboratory technicians) with assistance from our students as appropriate. If you have a short-term project that you would like to discuss with us, or if you are interested in participating in more extensive applied research projects, please contact the Applied Research department.
|Location:||Prince of Wales Campus|
|Credential:||Diploma, Bioscience Technologist|
|Minimum passing grade per course:
- Grade 12 or equivalent with credits at or above the general level
- Grade 12 academic English, minimum of 70%
- Grade 12 academic biology, minimum of 70%
- Grade 12 academic chemistry, minimum of 70%
- Grade 11 or 12 academic math, minimum of 70%
- Current Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems (WHMIS) certificate
- Résumé including work and volunteer experience with applicable dates, membership in groups, associations or athletics, awards and distinctions, and any other information about yourself relevant to the program.
Graduates from this program may find employment as:
- Biological laboratory technologist
- Microbiology quality control technologist
- Microbiology technologist
- Food bacteriological technician
- Plant breeding technician
- Agricultural technologist
- Aquaculture technician
Tuition & Fees
If you have any questions concerning the Bioscience Technology program, contact: