Student Job Posting - Restaurant Development Advisor - Volunteer in Myanmar
Employer: Cuso International
Type: Full Time
Closing Date: Jun 15, 2018
- About us Cuso International is a non-profit international development organization, working to improve the lives of people living with poverty and inequality around the globe.
- Each year we mobilize hundreds of volunteer professionals who work with local partners to create positive, lasting change. Established in 1961, Cuso International is a registered charity in Canada and the United States.
- Location Myine Thar Yar, Mawlamyine Myanmar Start Date Apr - Jun 2018 (flexible)
- Length of Placement 12 Months
- Language Requirements English Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
- The Volunteer’s Role Pao Mon is a small traditional Mon food restaurant run entirely by women from the villages surrounding the sleepy city of Mawlamyine.
- Pao Mon was created as a way of sharing and preserving Mon Culture through food service and cooking classes, while working to maintain its ethnic visibility in the community and provide business opportunity and employment for local Mon women.
- As the Restaurant Development Advisor, you will support the restaurant through technical inputs for financial management, hospitality, marketing, and more areas in order to ensure that this small business can continue to employ and empower indigenous Mon women, spread Mon culture to national and international visitors and tourists, and raise funds for community development activities for years to come.
- As a volunteer, you will: - To provide training in areas of restaurant hospitality, including customer service skills, front of house presence and food presentation, English language, among others.
- To build the skills of staff in simple financial management skills, including budget planning, with attention to seasonal fluctuations
- To build the skills of Pao Mon staff in fundraising and marketing through various mechanisms like networking with INGO’s, applying for grants and improving access to outside funds, maintaining social media presence. organizing food events, promotions as well as cooking class advertising
- To support improvements to Mon ethnic food cooking classes, supporting the planning and preparation of classes and classes schedules with cooks and trainers ensuring the quality to deliver clear, interactive and professional classes to tourists. - Build the skills of staff in terms of food hygiene and handling; procurement, storage, and preparation according to the best national standards for kitchen.
- University degree in Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management or relevant experience
- Experience in hospitality, business start-up and training.
- Experience in Culinary Training, Cooking School Experience in Food Services
- Food Hygiene/ Handlers Certification
- Accountancy skills: practical experience is small budget management. HR management experience -Marketing and promotion
- Demonstrated experience of working in multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams
How to Apply:
Applicants may apply by: