In the Precision Machinist program, you will learn how to take a mechanical blueprint and physically produce the part it describes. Learn to operate lathes, drill presses, vices, micrometers, and milling machines to create the precise component required by technical drawings.
You could create something that could become an integral part of an airplane or car, a piece of surgical equipment, or a major industrial machine. If you like to pay attention to detail and have mechanical aptitude, this program may be just what you’re looking for.
You will earn apprenticeship hours for each week of your program and will qualify to write your Level 1 exam toward your Red Seal certification.
|Location:||Summerside Waterfront Campus|
|Minimum passing grade per course:
- Grade 12 or equivalent with credits at or above the general level
- Résumé including work and volunteer experience with applicable dates, membership in groups, associations or athletics, awards and distinctions, and any other information about yourself relevant to the program
NOTE: Preference will be given to applicants with academic math and physics.
- Production machine shops
- Machine repair shops
- Aerospace/aviation shops
- Farm equipment dealers
- Heavy equipment companies
- Electrical generation facilities
- After graduation, if you choose to continue your CNC training, you may apply for entrance into the second year of the NBCC Machining program
Red Seal Information
The most successful path to a Red Seal as a machinist begins with the Precision Machinist program. This program enables you to earn 30 hours of apprenticeship time for each week of training and write the apprenticeship year one block exam, which puts you well on your way to Red Seal certification. Upon graduation, once you are working with a suitable employer, you will register as an apprentice to complete your journey to challenge the Interprovincial Exam. When you register, Apprenticeship PEI will give you credit for the hours earned and block exams passed while you were at Holland College.
The Interprovincial Red Seal gives you the ability to work anywhere in Canada without further testing or certification. The Red Seal is recognized as the Interprovincial standard of excellence for your chosen trade and is the designation most employers will ask for.
Tuition & Fees
If you have any questions concerning the Precision Machinist program, contact:
- General Inquiries: (902) 888-6448