As a practical nurse, you’ll provide routine care under the supervision of a registered nurse or a medical doctor to disabled, injured or sick patients. You may work in a hospital, doctor’s office, nursing home, or private residence. Your academic courses in anatomy and physiology, fundamentals of nursing, and pharmacology are supported through extensive clinical placements. At the end of the program, you’ll complete 160 hours of practicum in a clinical site with a licensed practical nurse as your preceptor. This experience puts your skills into action and gives you important exposure to potential employers.
Practical nurses must be licensed to work in Canada. Upon graduation, you’ll be ready to complete your Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Exam (CPNRE) to be eligible for initial licensure.
|Start:||September (Charlottetown), January (Summerside)|
|Location:||Prince of Wales Campus, Summerside Waterfront Campus|
|Credential:||Diploma, Practical Nurse|
|Minimum passing grade per course:||70%|
- Grade 12 or equivalent with credits at or above the general level
- Grade 12 academic English, minimum of 70%
- Grade 11 and 12 academic biology, minimum of 70%
- Grade 12 academic math, minimum of 65%
- Grade 11 or 12 chemistry, minimum of 70%
- Current Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems (WHMIS) Certificate
- Criminal Record Check (Vulnerable Persons) with no findings of guilt
- Two applicant reference forms from employers
- Completion of Holland College Medical Form
- Standard First Aid and CPR Level C from a recognized First Aid/CPR Trainer.
- Completion of Immunization Verification Form (required after acceptance)
- Résumé including work and volunteer experience with applicable dates, membership in groups, associations or athletics, awards and distinctions, and any other information about yourself relevant to the program.
Note: Preference will be given to applicants who have completed university level introductory courses in English, biology or psychology. Clinical experience may be restricted if the student does not have a valid driver’s license.
- Long-term care
- Nursing homes
- Community care
- Home care
- Physicians’ offices
Tuition & Fees
View a full breakdown of costs for this program at the Charlottetown campus.
View a full breakdown of costs for this program at the Summerside campus.
If you have any questions concerning the Practical Nursing program, contact:
- Prince of Wales Campus
Rachel Matheson (902) 629-4232