Note: It’s not too late to apply! You must apply to the program before you will be contacted for an audition.
The Holland College School of Performing Arts
A Partnership between Holland College and Confederation Centre of the Arts
Performing Arts Foundation and Theatre Performance Program Auditions
The Performance Audition for the Performing Arts Foundation/Theatre Performance programs is an assessment of aptitude and attitude. Applicants can audition:
- In person, or
- By distance.
In person audition – It is highly recommended that applicants audition in person.
For the audition, applicants will be asked to complete all of the four following components:
1. Dance: During the dance call portion of the audition, applicants will be asked to learn a basic combination as a group. This will provide the opportunity for the applicant to demonstrate their natural coordination and rhythm and their ability to remember movement sequencing.
2. Acting: Applicants are asked to prepare and memorize a two minute English monologue from a modern playwright (i.e. 20th or 21st century). The instructor will then work with the applicant on the piece. This will provide the opportunity for the applicant to demonstrate their ability to take direction.
3. Voice: Applicants are asked to prepare a song that demonstrates their vocal range. This will provide the opportunity for the applicant to demonstrate the potential of their voice. An accompanist will be provided if needed at a cost of $50 to the applicant. Please notify us in advance if you need an accompanist and bring any music the accompanist will require. Pre-recorded accompaniment is an excellent option.
4. Interview: While the audition is geared toward the on-stage side of the performing arts, the program also explores the wide range of possible careers in the performing arts field, including technical aspects such as lighting, prop production, design, etc. as well as the business roles of manager, agent, etc. Applicants will be asked to participate in a brief interview. This will provide the opportunity for the applicant to talk about their background and interests. For those who wish to do so, they are welcome to bring along any of their own materials relevant to the program i.e. drawings, designs, etc.
Distance Audition – For those who are unable to attend an in-person audition, applicants may choose a distance audition.
For a distance audition, applicants are required to send a video recording of the first three elements:
1. Dance: Applicants performing a dance in a style of their choice, approximately one minute in length.
2. Acting: Applicants performing a memorized two minute English monologue from a modern playwright (i.e. 20th or 21st century).
3. Voice: Applicants performing a song of their choice which demonstrates vocal range.
4. Interview: Applicants will participate in a telephone interview at a time to be determined by the applicant and the instructor.
Applicants are also welcome to send with their video any of their own materials relevant to the program i.e. drawings, designs, etc.
Photo/headshot: Applicants are asked to include along a recent photo or headshot with their video.
Videos are to be mailed to:
Holland College School of Performing Arts
140 Weymouth Street
Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4Z1
The audition/review of auditions will be conducted by:
- Peggy Reddin, Director of Arts Education, Confederation Centre of the Arts/Head Instructor, SoPA
If you have any questions or require additional information about the audition, please contact Peggy Reddin by e-mail.