Note: Only those who have applied to the Music Performance program can audition.
Applicants will be contacted following receipt of their application to the program.
Auditions can take place in person or by distance; however, it is highly recommended that applicants audition in person.
In person auditions for the Music Performance program take place in the Music Performance building, 275 Kent Street, Holland College Prince of Wales Campus, Charlottetown.
All applicants will complete the Music Theory and Aural Skills Test..
For those who are unable to audition in person, applicants may choose a distance audition as per the requirements below.
The Music Performance program audition consists of three components:
- Music Theory test;
- Aural Skills test; and
- Performance audition.
Applicants will be asked to:
- Recognize basic rhythmic construction: quarter and eighth notes, time signatures, and rests;
- Recognize simple rhythmic patterns and identify meters;
- Name notes and intervals in both the treble and bass clefs;
- Construct major, harmonic minor, and melodic minor scales; and
- Construct or identify intervals within one octave.
Applicants will be asked to:
- Match pitches vocally;
- Write the musical notation for rhythms that are played;
- Identify simple intervals within one octave;
- Identify the type of triad (major, minor, diminished, augmented) played; and
- Write the musical notation for a simple melody that is played.
Performance Audition for Instrumental and Vocalists
During the audition, the following will be provided: PA system, guitar amp, bass amp, electric piano, or drumset depending on the instrument being used. Applicants will be asked to:
- Perform two solo pieces for your major instrument, or voice in the case of vocal majors. These pieces are the choice of the applicant and should reflect contrasting styles between the two selections;
- Sight-read short selections provided during the audition;
- Perform the major scales, as well as the harmonic and melodic minor scales (rudiments for drummers); and
- Demonstrate different styles such as rock, funk, blues and a Latin style – this for piano, guitar, bass and drum auditions only.
Note for vocalists – An accompanist will be provided if needed at a cost of $50 to the applicant. Please notify Gaylene Carragher, 902-629-7032 in advance if you need an accompanist and bring any music the accompanist will require. Prerecorded accompaniment is an excellent option.
For those who are unable to audition in person, applicants may choose a distance audition.
For a distance audition, applicants are required to send a DVD recording for the Performance component of the audition process. A music teacher in the applicant’s local area will have to administer the Music Theory and Aural Skills components of the audition. Please contact Instructor Alan Dowling to discuss arrangements of those two components.
For distance auditions and the DVD recording of the performance component, applicants are asked to:
- Perform two pieces of their own choice with contrasting styles;
- Perform the major, harmonic minor and melodic minor scales in at least three keys of their choice; and
- Demonstrate at least two different styles such as rock, funk, blues and a Latin style – this for piano, guitar, bass and drum auditions only.
Distance audition videos should be submitted as soon as possible and mailed to:
Holland College School of Performing Arts
140 Weymouth Street
The audition/review of auditions will be conducted by Alan Dowling, Instructor, Music Performance.
If you have any questions or require additional information on the audition itself, please contact Alan by e-mail.