This program provides you with the opportunity to develop and enhance your skills as an artist through courses in art history, drawing, design, animation, digital photography and more. You’ll explore mediums such as lino-printing, etching, sculpture, collage, acrylic and watercolour paint. Strong emphasis is placed on learning the basis of effective design and enhancing your drawing skills. This program helps you prepare yourself, and your portfolio, for a future
in the visual arts.
By the time you graduate, you’ll have a strong portfolio ready to apply for one of our two-year School of Visual Arts programs:
|Location:||Prince of Wales Campus|
|Credential:||Certificate, Fundamental Arts|
|Minimum passing grade per course:
- Grade 12 or equivalent with credits at or above the general level
- Portfolio of 5 to 6 pieces of your best artwork. This portfolio should include some color work and some observational drawing
- A 500-word essay describing your artistic journey so far and your goals and aspirations for the future
- Résumé including work and volunteer experience with applicable dates, membership in groups, associations or athletics, awards and distinctions, and any other information about yourself relevant to the program
Note: Portfolio will only be kept by the Admissions Department for one year.
By the end of this program, you will have gained the skills required for acceptance into more advanced training in your chosen area.
Tuition & Fees
If you have any questions concerning the Fundamental Arts program, contact:
- Gweneth Branch-Rice
- School of Visual Arts & Journalism office: (902) 629-4206