Do you love to draw and design? Do you think in pictures? Do you want to make your living being paid to be creative in visual arts—but aren’t sure which career is right for you?
In this foundation program, you’ll try your hands at a variety of different skills to find out where your strengths lie.
By the time you graduate, you’ll have a strong portfolio ready to apply for one of our two-year School of Visual Arts programs:
|Location:||Prince of Wales Campus|
|Credential:||Certificate, Fundamental Arts|
|Minimum passing grade per course:
- Grade 12 or equivalent with credits at or above the general level
- Portfolio of 5 to 6 pieces of your best artwork. This portfolio should include some color work and some observational drawing. The portfolio will only be kept by the Admissions Department for one year.
- A 500-word essay describing your artistic journey so far and your goals and aspirations for the future.
- Résumé including work and volunteer experience with applicable dates, membership in groups, associations or athletics, awards and distinctions, and any other information about yourself relevant to the program.
By the end of this program, you will have gained the skills required for acceptance into more advanced training in your chosen area.
Open Academic Studies program
Feeling like you’re not quite ready for college? Check out the Open Academic Studies program.
Interested in taking a credit course but don’t want to register for an entire program? Credit courses provide credit toward a diploma or certificate program. Holland College has a variety of options for studying part time during the day, or, in some instances, in the evening or on the weekend.
Tuition & Fees
If you have any questions concerning the Fundamental Arts program, contact:
- Gweneth Branch-Rice
- School of Visual Arts & Journalism office: (902) 629-4206