If you’re interested in a career in the trades and want a skill so specialized it can take you anywhere, then Commercial Diving is for you.
Holland College students train in the waters of the North Atlantic preparing them for work in any body of water around the world, including tidal waters and strong currents.
Our graduates are in demand around the world, working on everything from deep-water drilling platforms to bridges, aquaculture environments, ships, and more.
Here at the Holland College Marine Training Center, underwater welding is our specialty and we train our underwater welders to perform all the other commercial diving tasks you’ll need.
You’ll get real-world experience diving to a maximum air diving depth of 50 metres using equipment, systems, and procedures that are standard in the offshore oil and gas industries. You’ll log these greater depths during a deep-dive field trip where you will live on board an offshore dive vessel for up to 10 days and dive an IMCA-certified offshore dive spread using a wet bell system.
Upon graduation, you’ll receive your Divers Certification Board of Canada (DCBC) unrestricted surface supplied diver certificate, which is recognized by the:
- International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA)
- Association of Diving Contractors International (ADCI)
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE) in the United Kingdom
- Australian Diver Accreditation Scheme (ADAS)
You will also receive your SVO, MED A1, CPR, First Aid, Oxygen administration, and WHMIS certificates.
This is a US Federal Aid Approved program.
|Location:||Marine Training Centre, Summerside|
|Credential:||Certificate, Unrestricted Surface Supplied Diver|
|Minimum passing grade per course:
- Grade 12 or equivalent with credits at or above the general level. Preference will be given to applicants with a physics credit.
- Open Water Scuba Diving Certificate with 20 logged dives and 10 hours of bottom time.*
- Full commercial diving medical** from an approved hyperbaric physician. Please provide your full medical results including the certificate indicating that you are fit to dive.
- Résumé including work and volunteer experience with applicable dates, membership in groups, associations or athletics, awards and distinctions, and any other information about yourself relevant to the program.
*This is intense training, sometimes in adverse conditions. Students must have experienced the sensation of being underwater for long periods of time before entering the program.
Note: Students are expected to be in good physical condition and prepared to undertake a daily fitness program as part of the training to assess their fitness to dive each day, to improve cardiovascular fitness, and as a team-building activity. Students who do not participate in the daily fitness program may lose their diving privileges.
Graduates from this program may find employment with:
- Harbour infrastructure inspection, maintenance, underwater welding and repair
- Deep water drilling platforms inspection, maintenance, and repair
- Oil and gas pipelines infrastructure inspection, maintenance, and repair
- Shipbuilding and ship repair underwater welding/burning
- Bridge inspection, maintenance, underwater welding/burning and repair
- Police departments, investigation, search and recovery
- Fire departments
- Search and rescue squadrons
- Parks Canada underwater archeology
- Canadian Armed Forces
- Scientific diving
- Seafood harvesting and aquaculture
- Quality control and quality auditing companies
The “Certificate of Medical Fitness” on the last page of the form must also be completed, signed and stamped by attending physician.
The medical form has been provided “with the permission of Canadian Standards Association, material is reproduced from CSA Standard Z275.2-04, Occupational Safety Code for Diving Operations, which is copyrighted by Canadian Standards Association, 178 Rexdale Blvd., Toronto, Ontario, M9W 1R3. While use of this material has been authorized, CSA shall not be responsible for the manner in which the information is presented, nor for any interpretations thereof”. For more information on CSA or to purchase standards please visit the website at www.shopcsa.ca or call 1-800-463-6727.
Tuition & Fees
Open Academic Studies program
Feeling like you’re not quite ready for college? Check out the Open Academic Studies program.
Interested in taking a credit course but don’t want to register for an entire program? Credit courses provide credit toward a diploma or certificate program. Holland College has a variety of options for studying part time during the day, or, in some instances, in the evening or on the weekend.