If you’re interested in a career in the trades, and want a skill so specialized it can take you anywhere, then commercial diving is for you.
Our graduates are in demand around the world, working on everything from deep-water drilling platforms, to bridges, aquaculture environments, ships, and more.
Here at the Holland College Marine Training Center, underwater welding is our specialty and we train our underwater welders to perform all the other commercial diving techniques you’ll need in this one-year program.
You’ll get real-world experience diving to a maximum air diving depth of 50 metres using equipment, systems, and procedures that are standard in the offshore oil and gas industries. You’ll log these greater depths during a deep-dive field trip to the Bedford Basin in Halifax, Nova Scotia. At this site you’ll live on board an offshore dive vessel for up to 10 days of training during which you’ll dive an IMCA-certified offshore dive spread using a wet bell system.
Upon graduation you’ll receive your Divers Certification Board of Canada (DCBC) unrestricted surface supplied diver certificate, which is recognized by the:
- International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA)
- Association of Diving Contractors International (ADCI)
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE) in the United Kingdom
- Australian Diver Accreditation Scheme (ADAS)
You will also receive your ADCI (Entry level Diver/Tender), MED A1, CPR, First Aid, Oxygen administration, and WHMIS certificates.
This is a US Federal Aid Approved program.
|Location:||Marine Training Centre, Summerside|
|Credential Issued:||Certificate, Unrestricted Surface Supplied Diver|
|Minimum passing grade per course:
Graduates from this program may find employment with:
- Harbour infrastructure – inspection, maintenance, underwater welding and repair
- Deep water drilling platforms – inspection, maintenance and repair
- Oil and gas pipelines infrastructure – inspection, maintenance and repair
- Shipbuilding and ship repair underwater welding/burning
- Bridge inspection, maintenance,underwater welding/burning and repair
- Police Departments, investigation search and recovery
- Fire Dept.Search and rescue
- Parks Canada, Underwater Archeology
- Canadian military
- Scientific Diving
- Sea food harvesting and aquaculture
- Developing countries building “first time” infrastructure
- Quality control and quality auditing companies
- Non-destructive testing companies
The National Occupational Classification (NOC) is the nationally accepted reference on occupations in Canada. It organizes over 40,000 job titles into 500 occupational group descriptions. It is used daily by thousands of people to compile, analyze and communicate information about occupations, and to understand the jobs found throughout Canada’s labour market. This program provides skills training that falls within the duties described in the following: NOC 7384.
- Grade 12 or equivalent with credits at or above the general level
- Open Water Scuba Diving Certificate with 20 logged dives and 10 hours of bottom time.
- Full commercial diving medical** from an approved Hyperbaric physician. Please provide your full medical results including the certificate indicating that you are fit to dive.
- Resumé including work and volunteer experience with applicable dates, membership in groups, associations or athletics, awards and distinctions, and any other information about yourself relevant to the program.
Note: Preference given to applicants with a physics credit. This program includes a daily fitness program to assess the divers’ fitness to dive each day, improve cardiovascular fitness and as a team building activity.
The medical form has been provided “with the permission of Canadian Standards Association, material is reproduced from CSA Standard Z275.2-04, Occupational Safety Code for Diving Operations, which is copyrighted by Canadian Standards Association, 178 Rexdale Blvd., Toronto, Ontario, M9W 1R3. While use of this material has been authorized, CSA shall not be responsible for the manner in which the information is presented, nor for any interpretations thereof”.
For more information on CSA or to purchase standards please visit the website at www.shopcsa.ca or call 1-800-463-6727.
Open Academic Studies program
Feeling like you’re not quite ready for college? Check out the Open Academic Studies program.
Interested in taking a credit course but don’t want to register for an entire program? Credit courses provide credit toward a diploma or certificate program. Holland College has a variety of options for studying part time during the day, or, in some instances, in the evening or on the weekend.
Tuition & Fees
Approved Diving and Hyperbaric Physicians
NOTE: Unless approval is sought, the program will only accept medicals performed by one of the above listed physicians.
If you have any questions concerning the Commercial Diving program, contact:
- General Inquiries: (902) 888-6485