The distributed learning model offers the practicing Primary Care Paramedic the opportunity to complete most of their Advanced Care Paramedic studies in a distance delivery format. The program mirrors the one-year Advanced Care Paramedicine on-site program but redistributes the program over two years. In the first year and a half of the program, students complete three semesters of learning modules on line, via the Holland College Learning Management System, SAM. Students are also required to attend three, two-week lab and testing sessions on site in Charlottetown, and prescribed hospital clinical and ambulance practicum shifts.
PLEASE NOTE: THERE IS NO GUARANTEE STUDENTS WILL BE PLACED AT THEIR LOCATION OF CHOICE. More information regarding clinical/practicum placements will be discussed at orientation during Lab 1.
|ACP DL CLINICAL|
|Prince Edward Island||Nova Scotia||Newfoundland|
|ACP DL PRACTICUM|
The Advanced Care Paramedicine Distributed Learning program delivered by Holland College is accredited by the Canadian Medical Association (CMA). The CMA believes that relevant educational preparation is critical to ensuring competent health professionals who can contribute to effective and safe patient care as a member of the health care team. CMA accreditation signifies that the Advanced Care Paramedicine program has met national standards and that the education provided is relevant to current clinical practice. Ensuring that Paramedics have the required competencies for entry to practice is an important contribution to Canada’s health human resources. Graduates from accredited Paramedicine programs have met competency standards as reflected in the Paramedic Association of Canada’s National Occupational Competency Profile. Visit www.cma.ca/accredit.
Graduates from an accredited Paramedicine program are also eligible to write the National Exam for Paramedics in Canada. Successful completing of the exam is required for Paramedic Registration in many Provinces in Canada including Prince Edward Island.
|Start:||January (Term 1: Jan.-April, Intersession: May-June, Summer Break: July-Aug. Term 2: Sept.-Dec.)|
|Location:||Web Based and Prince of Wales Campus|
|Credential:||Post Graduate Certificate, Advanced Care Paramedic|
|Minimum passing grade per course:
- Graduation from a CMA accredited 2-year Canadian Primary Care Paramedicine program or equivalent
- Criminal Record Check (Vulnerable Sector) with no findings of guilt
- Completion of three reference forms, one from the ACP or PCP field
- Completion of Holland College Medical Form
- Current Heart and Stroke BLS
- Completion of an Immunization Verification Form (required after acceptance)
- Valid Class 4 driver’s license
- Résumé including work and volunteer experience with applicable dates, membership in groups, associations or athletics, awards and distinctions, and any other information about yourself relevant to the program.
Graduates from this program may find employment with:
- Ground Ambulance
- Industrial First Aid
- Recreation and sports facilities
- Emergency medical education
- Medical supply sales
- Emergency departments
- Air ambulance
- Communications centres
Tuition & Fees
If you have any questions concerning the Advanced Care Paramedicine Distributed Learning program, contact: