Intra-Oral Distance Orthodontics: Practicum
Course Section:1819SYR CEHELTH-ORTHOP-08OG
Availability (updated hourly):
Limited seats available
This course will present the intra-oral Dental Assistants/Hygienists with relevant technical knowledge and skills which the intra-oral orthodontic Dental Assistant/Hygienist will be expected to perform. The Dental Assistant/ Hygienist will learn to assist the orthodontist in the planning and execution of clinical procedures. The specific procedures include the supervision of occlusal development and/or treatment of conditions of dental facial disharmony. Holland College Distance Intra-Oral Orthodontics is delivered as two courses. Successful completion of both courses are required to apply for licensure in the Province in which you are working. The Theory Course is the first component of the Holland College Distance Intra-Oral Orthodontics Course. Students will be given 3 month of home study to prepare for the exam. Upon successful completion of the theoretical exam, a Certificate will be issued for this course. After successful completion of the Theory Course, students may register for the Practical Course. The Theory Course will be a Prerequisite for the Practical Course. The Practical Course consists of the practical application of skills covered in the theory course. A practical skills evaluation booklet which will be mailed to the student and must be completed by the supervising orthodontist. Students will be given 3 month to complete the 9 skills in this booklet. The letters located at the back of the booklet, affirming successful completion of the practical skills must be signed by the supervising orthodontist. One of the signed letters will be left in the booklet and returned to Holland College. The second letter will be forwarded to the licensing body in your province. A certificate will be issued to the students at the competition of this Course. Both the certificates (Theory and Practical) must be presented to your licensing body for licensure.
Credit Related Information:
This is an Industry Standard Credit.
- Current Level II Intra-Oral Dental Assisting license for the province in which the student will be working or current Dental Hygiene license for the province in which the student will be working.
- Holland College Intra-oral Orthodontics - Distance Course Practicum Supervisor Agreement Form Statement of understanding, Agreement & Release Form Confirmation of successful completion of Holland College Distance Intra-Oral Orthodontics: Theory Course
- The scope of intra-oral orthodontic skills varies from province to province therefore it is the responsibility of the applicant to confer with your provincial licensing authority to determine requirements in your province.
- Requirements for licensure must be discussed with the licensing body. We encourage applicants to do this prior to applying for these courses. The Intra-Oral Orthodontic Dental Assisting Course is recognized by PEI Dental Council, the NB Dental Society, and the Newfoundland Dental Board, Newfoundland and Labrador College of Dental Hygienist. Completion of this course alone will not meet licensure requirements. Both theory and practical courses must be successfully completed, and certificates for both must be presented to your licensing Body for licensure.
- This distance education course allows students to register at any time and is not subject to student application numbers.
- Students have three months from registration date to complete their Practicum booklet under the supervision of an orthodontist. The Practical Course must be completed within one year from the completion date of the Theory Course, otherwise students will be required to redo the Theory Course.
- The letters at the back of the practicum booklet must be completed and signed by the supervising Orthodontist. One letter is left in the booklet and the other letter is sent to your provincial licensing Body. The booklet is returned to Holland College. At this time a certificate for this course will be generated and mailed to the Student. The Student will then present the certificates from both the theory and the practicum Holland College Distance Intra-Oral Orthodontic Courses to their Provincial Licensing body for licensure.
- Requirements for licensure must be discussed with the licensing body. We encourage applicants to do this prior to applying for these courses. The Intra-Oral Orthodontic Dental Assisting Course is recognized by the PEI Dental Council, the NB Dental Society, and the Newfoundland Dental Board only.
||Off-Site and/or via Distance
Sorry, no day / time information available.
Please note: Students are only able to register for a course after they have completed any of the pre-requisites listed above.