The Green Machine is Holland College’s sustainability committee. We are a group of students and staff committed to promoting sustainability and exemplary environmental stewardship through education, conservation and community engagement.
We need volunteers to help us with the activities that we undertake every year, such as our highly-popular Earth Day Barbecue, an event that draws staff, students, and the college’s neighbours. We also need help with our Lunch and Learn sessions, which provide students, staff, and anyone else who’s interested in finding out more about environment issues, or things such as home energy audits and retrofitting older homes to make them more energy efficient.
If you would like to be part of the Green Machine, send us an email!
Here’s what we’ve done since we first fired up the Green Machine…
Since the Green Machine started in February of 2012, we’ve been working hard to help our college get greener.
As part of the campaign, we installed aerators and low flow shower heads on the Prince of Wales Campus and at the Tourism and Culinary Centre. We also installed a water station in the Charlottetown Centre and at the Tourism and Culinary Centre. Additionally, we hosted three lunch and learns to raise awareness about water issues.
Other activities include:
- Produced an online flyer to promote sustainable practices over the Christmas holidays
- Reduced use of styrofoam at Tourism and Culinary Centre
- Replaced all waste bins at Tourism and Culinary Centre with new sorting stations
- Initiated meetings with Island Transit in order to find ways to decrease car usage and increase transit usage
- Celebrated Earth Day with an ACES (Atlantic Canada Electronics Stewardship) drop-off for old electronics and batteries and a barbecue, and demonstrations by student in the Energy Systems Engineering Technology and Heritage Retrofit Carpentry programs.
- Distributed posters to be placed in computer labs at the Charlottetown and Summerside campuses reminding users to shut down the computers after use.
- Launched Random Acts of Greenness campaign to encourage people to share their eco-friendly tips and nominate others for their green practises for a chance to win some great prizes
- Established partnerships with the David Suzuki Foundation and Sierra Club to raise awareness about environmental stewardship
- Hosted film nights in partnership with the Sierra Club Cinema Politica.
- Work with Student Services to create a “culture of green” with all incoming students during Orientation Week.
- Prince Edward Island Electronic Products Recycling Association
- Maritime Rideshare
- The David Suzuki Foundation
Contact Green Machine: