Early Learning Centre: A Lab School
The Early Learning Centre:
- Provides direct experiences and learning opportunities for adult students in the
Early Childhood Care and Education program and other programs at Holland College.
- Provides quality child care services to children and families.
- Provides services to Holland College students, staff, and the general publlic.
- Creates a centre of excellence based on relationships framed within respectful communication and collaborative teamwork.
The four pillars of the practice at the centre are children, families, students, and colleagues.
Components of a College Lab School
Staff from the Early Childhood Care and Education program assign a spokesperson who collaborates with the d
The collaborative initiatives between the Early Years Centre and the Early Childhood Care and Education program address and improve the three major components of maintaining an industry-leading college lab school: irector of the Early Learning Centre to identify new learning initiatives, research, curriculum development, and other information regarding the operation and educational programs offered in the centre.
- Developing new knowledge: The centre has participated in action research which helped to create new knowledge for the early childhood sector.
- Innovation: The centre has participated in innovative pilot projects such as an ArtsSmarts project in which the children and staff looked at science curriculum through music, dance, and visual art. A wonderful video was created, The Dance of the Butterfly.
- Collaboration: The centre welcomes many visitors, ranging from the provincial to international level. It is a demonstration site for adult learners at the college, for high schools, and for educators from the early childhood sector.